Friday, January 5, 2024

Cold sun

Three pelicans were doing early morning fly-bys, but I the camera couldn't penetrate the vegetation.  An egret was also involved, but out of focus.  The tide was out so hoodies and cormorants came to fish.  The day grew sunny but there were passing clouds. 

A white breasted nuthatch got to the seed feeder before the competition.  A female oriole was next to arrive, so it was good that I had hustled fresh jelly outside.  Myrtle warblers blended in with the mulch.  Pine warblers went after suet and barkbutter balls.  A goldfinch came to see if there was a vegetarian entree.  The titmice liked the barkbutter balls.  So did the bluebirds but they also ate suet.  A male oriole eventually arrived.  A wary blue jay just watched from the camellia.  But eventually the blue jays started eating.  The song sparrow emerged to eat the barkbutter balls I had let fall.  

At lunch, the cat came back.  I worried because a myrtle warbler was admiring itself in the birdbath, but nothing happened.  A brown headed nuthatch gave a scolding from the safety of the feeder perch.  After lunch I had an online meeting.  I did manage to see a pelican floating downstream.  Then it took off.  After the meeting, I saw an egret on the lake and a hoodie paddling past it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment