Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Damned cat

The creek looked like crackled paint in the sunlight.  Since the suet was gone so were the woodpeckers.  Brown headed nuthatches hit the seed feeder early.  Hopeful warblers flitted around searching for food.  A female oriole scraped up barkbutter dust.  A white throated sparrow watched from the camellia.  It was the only one I saw today.  A song sparrow searched the ground.  White breasted nuthatches queued up for seeds.  Bluebirds just looked forlorn.  A mockingbird made several brief visits to see if food had arrived.  The female red bellied woodpecker ate seeds till she was too heavy for the counterweighted perch.  

Then the wretched feral cat showed up.   I realized it was watching the song sparrow and I went to chase it away but I wasn't fast enough.  I don't know whether the cat caught the sparrow but I didn't see either one again.  Pelicans made frequent trips up and downstream and I wasted lots of pixels.  We got fresh suet hung before the end of the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment