Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Sunset spectacle

The first thing I saw in the morning was the black cat getting a drink from the birdbath.  In the background, the creek was aglow.   More milkweed seeds took flight.  I found five young monarch caterpillars and two more seedpods.  A black swallowtail flitted around the rue.  I thought I glimpsed a brown butterfly but between leaves and shadows, I could not be sure.  Another magic leaf fluttered and spun on the end of a silk thread.  A great blue heron moved downstream.  Blue jays remained tantalizingly hidden by vegetation, but very audible. 

At first the sky was intensely blue and cloudless but in the later afternoon clouds flowed in from the West.  Airbrushed wisps were followed by more substantial clouds that gathered for a spectacular sunset.  The moon was faintly visible through the cloud haze.  




No comments:

Post a Comment