Monday, October 7, 2024

Mosquito swarm

I love the way the creek glows at dawn on a sunny day.  If there's wind, it drops at dawn and dusk so the creek can reflect the light.  A brown headed nuthatch was up early and a chickadee waited rather than argue.  The sky was blue again but a little more hazy.  Dogwood leaves took on a bronze hue.  Southern purple mint moths were ubiquitous and I walked into a swarm of mosquitoes, the most I've seen all summer.  My skin no longer reacts to their bites as much as when I was young, but they were in my face and everywhere.  

The Berkley polypore shrank, perhaps from water loss, and turned rust and gray.  I found a few very small mushrooms like orange beads in the grass.  When I picked one, it was just as orange underneath.  It had gills that were well separated, surprisingly thick, and attached to the stalk, no veil ring but maybe a hint of a cup at the base.  My best guess is orange bonnet, Mycena acicula.  


No comments:

Post a Comment