Friday, October 4, 2024

Warm sun

Initially, the sky had looked gray but it soon brightened.  The female downy breakfasted on seeds.  Below, the immature male cardinal foraged for himself.  His beak color was definitely getting more adult.  At lunch a small flock of doves showed up.  Maybe they were a family having a spa day.  One sunbathed while others preened.  

A Carolina wren popped up and disappeared just as quickly.  Blue jays rushed around but never stopped for barkbutter balls while I was watching.  I thought I saw a nuthatch but it was a chickadee head-down on a pine trunk.  I wonder if it was caching seeds in the rough bark.  

A red spotted purple rested on a hackberry twig.  It was dingy and tattered but in different places from the one I saw yesterday.  Thin clouds like chalk smudges on a blue board were followed by wispy jellyfish, then a cumulus cloud all from the West.  I came inside for a meeting and never got back.  By evening the sky had clouded over.  And when I wasn't looking, a whole dish of barkbutter balls disappeared.  


No comments:

Post a Comment