Friday, July 15, 2011

Another bright morning but without wind

Wrens were buzzing around the roses. They sound almost like insects. The titmice came to the feeder early. Then finches and cardinals. There are two adolescent cardinals with tattered crests. The doves are hanging around too. Blueberries are still ripening. The bushes were battered by the tree removal and I hope their productivity isn't a last gasp.

Well, now the breeze has picked up and the tide has risen. The sky is full of cream puffs. I see the goldfinch prefers the neighbors' bird feeder. I know they prefer thistle to sunflower.

We have a slime mold in the mulch that was put down this spring. Slime molds are not fungi, nor plant nor animal. My favorite slime mold page is on Tom Volk's Fungi website - I share his fascination with these strange entities.

No comments:

Post a Comment