Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hungry critters

There are indeed two rabbits. I wonder how long I've been seeing both, just one at a time. They're nearly full grown.

The seed feeder was busy with cardinals, chickadees, titmice, and an army of house finches. I saw at least eight and maybe more at one time. The goldfinch prefers to go straight to the source, maybe because the immature seeds are smaller?

The hummingbird is still happy with the feeder I put up, but annoyed with the crowd of finches. It makes a quiet, single note chup as it feeds. I'm hearing cicadas again - I don't know where they all went the other day but they were hard at it early this morning. The tree crickets have been singing in the evenings.

Rain started around lunch time and whenever it slackened the wet birds continued to mob the feeder. The rain flushed a black rat snake (Pantherophis obsoletus) from wherever it stays and I caught it crossing the patio. A rabbit was also out in the rain. Then a brown thrasher explored the mulch next to the house.

Now that it is dark, a barn spider (Araneas cavaticusis) weaving a large web across the patio window. It will be interesting to see if anything gets caught overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment