Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chilly with sun

An osprey circled in the early light.  Cardinals visited.  One male kept his crest up the whole time.  The pool was opened yesterday. A couple of squirrels chased each other.

Two chickadees visited the feeder with different intentions.  One was chowing down.  The other did the baby bird feed-me wing shaking, moving progressively closer.  Finally they were both on the perch, one (I assume) courting while the other obliviously kept eating.  Finally the suitor gave up and flew away.

I've no idea how the sexes sort out in terms of courting, if that's what this was.  Usually (I thought) males feed females to get them to mate.  But I doubt it could be a fully fledged offspring this early in the year.  But now I'm remembering that a few days ago I saw a female cardinal feed a male.  Hmmm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment