Saturday, June 9, 2012

Goose invasion

About six adults and about ten goslings at various ages attempted to sneak past me to the pool.  I have made it clear they are welcome to feed by the creek but not up where I may step on their little green tootsie-rolls.  Geese often merge their goslings into nursery groups.  And I think the two adults in the photo may actually be young helpers -  their tail feathers show more white. It is impossible to get the whole group into one photo.

The wren is singing away near the birdhouse.  The hummer saw the bees on the lavender and tried it herself.  Nah.  Back to the feeder.  I need to change the sugar water again - something is swimming in it.  Not to mention refilling the seed feeder.  Nobody comes to visit if I don't put out breakfast.  I did see a very pale cardinal, but maybe it was just the angle of light.

OK, now the seed feeder is full.  A skink (with a tail) scurried across the steps.  It is really hot already.  A dragonfly perched on the lavender - a great photo-op, but it left before I could fumble up my camera.  That's because I had my hands full of hose for chasing off the geese, again.  The cardinals are the first to discover the refilled feeder.  Papa is suspicious whether there is seed yet. A cicada is definitely buzzing in the trees.

This evening cloud wisps turned from butter-cream to rose-lavender.  A smaller Carolina wren poked around the mulch.  (The bird house is taken by house wrens.)  I hear tree crickets and see fireflies.  Large darner dragonflies are on the prowl and Kathleen says she saw a bat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment