Monday, June 11, 2012

More heat

Busy birds and squirrels. The cardinals are even closer to gladiola color than the house finches, but I couldn't get a cardinal to pose.  A Japanese beetle did pose on the bricks but I didn't realize that's what it was till I looked at the photo.  A dragonfly paused too briefly for me to get the camera up.  An osprey circled in the distance.  I can hear little green herons croaking. The gardenia bush smells wonderful even out of sight. 

After lunch, a skink flowed past along the timber retaining wall.  A male eastern pondhawk dragonfly used the perch I set out.  A tiger swallowtail flitted through the trees.  They seem to stay high now that the yard is more open. The wren continued to sing and a bluebird passed through. The lawn care staff next door rousted a rabbit who came hopping alongside the pool.  It is very hot with the usual afternoon pile up of cumulus clouds in the West..  A blue jay and a brown thrasher peeked around the corner of the house and flew off.  Then a young rabbit did the same and hop-walked right past me..  There are a lot of young animals out for the first time and less wary than they should be.  However, I have not seen a hummingbird today.

No comments:

Post a Comment