Sunday, March 29, 2015

Even more birds!

The water in the birdbath froze overnight.  Clouds in the East colored for sunrise then disappeared.  I saw a male oriole as I was making coffee.  If it was the same one as yesterday, it had cleaned the yellow off its face and it was willing to sample the seed feeder.  Later a female appeared, but didn't wait for a photo.  The oriole had lots of competition for the suet, mainly from downy woodpeckers and yellow rumped warblers, but a mockingbird got into the act.  A Carolina wren and a junco joined the white throats on the patio.  Around the trees I saw blue jays, doves, and titmice.

Herons and pelicans flew low over the water and competed for roosts.  One pelican just floated on the water for a while, not trying to catch anything.  Cormorants broke up the reflections. 

As I was making lunch, I saw a Cooper's hawk in the redwood.  It took some while after the hawk flew across the creek for the other birds to reappear.  Osprey circled over the creek.  Then I saw what I think was a phoebe, also in the redwood.  HRWE confirmed the phoebe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment