Sunday, March 8, 2015

Saving daylight

Back to arising at dawn.  The creek was busy early with pelicans and herons and rafts of ruddy ducks, but it didn't last.  A titmouse and a downy woodpecker made brief appearances while the yellow rumps, white throats, and juncos hung around.  I saw a Carolina wren down by the water in a saltbush.  Later a buzzard circled.  The day was warm and sunny but windy.  The mealworms disappeared overnight and I saw a squirrel licking the plate.  The white throats turned up their beaks at them. 

Several herons watched the creek or flew over during the afternoon.  At one point I saw three.  Two stalking under the bulkhead maintained about 15 feet of separation.  Pelicans, gulls, and buzzards made sporadic fly-bys, but didn't catch anything that I saw.  I noticed the "string of pearls" spider eggs made it through the winter storms.  Some kind of bug flew past me but I think the wind cancelled out the sun as far as invertebrates were concerned.  A wren scolded me and everything else as it worked its indignant way around the yard.  A song sparrow paid a brief visit to the feeder.

The sky was clear all day, but moonrise was misty and streaky.  The moon was past full but still round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment