Monday, March 30, 2015

Windy

Rain freckled the pavement about an hour after dawn.  Yellow rumped warblers and chickadees worked on the remnants of the suet block.  Pelicans flew low over the creek while ospreys circled on high.

Later in the morning the rain got serious.  K installed the last block of suet.  The oriole (or another) returned. A downy woodpecker also worked on the fresh suet. An egret stalked along the bulkhead. 

About 2pm the sky cleared and the sun blazed.  K and I hacked some rooting branches off my favorite azalea and stuck them in dirt elsewhere.  I pulled up a lot of leucojum that had been loosened by the rain.  Then as I rested, a Carolina wren serenaded me.  In the distance I could hear another.  When I came in, the woodpecker rushed to the suet.  Despite the sun, the wind was cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment