Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Spring romance

When I went to un-brick the feeder, I found a very unusual bird on the dock piling.  I thought it might be a half albino cormorant but I've been told it's normal for a juvenile to get bleached like this.  It hung around for quite a while.  The sky was gray but the air was warm.  Flecks of rain spotted the feeder. 

The feeders soon attracted a great variety of birds while more hung out in the bushes.  A pair of goldfinches had dressed for summer.  They were courting on the feeder perch till a titmouse bullied them off.  Two Carolina wrens were everywhere and white throats also scurried around the patio.  The warblers and woodpeckers kept at the suet.  Two mockingbirds drank from the pool cover.  A blue jay, a towhee, and a brown thrasher flitted around the bushes. Bumblebees and wasps were out again as was that cabbage white butterfly. 

A couple of squirrels got very frisky right in front of me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment