Thursday, April 26, 2018

Missed opportunities

A house wren hopped all around the feeders then departed just as I was getting focused. An adult cormorant studied the water from the neighbors' floating dock.  A juvenile perched on a lake snag, ignoring a turtle.  I was away for the middle of the day. 

It was a beautiful day that I spent too little time appreciating. I went outside intending to plant seeds in anticipation of rain tomorrow.  But I got caught up in looking around and never got to the seeds.  The coral honeysuckle was covered with flowers.  The pink azalea had a patch of magenta flowers and another patch of white.  Yellow jackets were more interested in nectar than color.  The purple iris had only four buds left. 

Unfortunately, I discovered the tall red cedar is infected with something that causes swelling and then bursts through in rusty orange lines. And a veil of clouds poured East bringing a chill that drove me back inside

Toward evening, I saw the first hummingbird of the year, his ruby throat flashing as he tried to get nectar from the blue wood hyacinths.  Not only was I not fast enough with the camera, I had taken the feeder in to clean and hadn't got around to putting one back out.  A female red bellied woodpecker didn't wait to be photographed either. The bluebirds dashed in and out of the nest box so I assume the eggs have hatched. White throats poked around and a summer-suited yellow rump warbler visited.  I don't know if it was a migrant passing through or one that wintered here.  The cat came with the dusk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment