Sunday, December 23, 2018

Beautiful day

The creek was untroubled at breakfast.   White throats foraged at dawn.  I saw a gorgeous red tailed hawk sitting in a tree along I64 on the way to church.  No camera, of course.

Pine warblers joined us for lunch.  A myrtle warbler looked around for an easy meal.  Downy woodpeckers traded turns on the suet.  Nuthatches and titmice grabbed seeds-to-go. 

Two male buffleheads fished on the channel side of the creek.  I went outside and discovered I was not dressed warmly enough.  Nonetheless, I went down to the dock to see if I could spot more fishing birds.  However, a neighbor decided to do some fishing himself and all the birds left.  I did see a heron up in a tree way downstream. 

After I gave up and climbed back up to the house, gulls and cormorants must have found a school of fish.  They followed it, plunging and diving, back and forth from the dam outfall to some point upstream the at I could not see.  An egret was attracted by the commotion.  More came, including a heron. 

After I went indoors, juncos foraged in the mulch.  Pine warblers worked on the suet while a female oriole came back for more of that good grape jelly.  Two of them visited the birdbath till a dove scared them off.  White throats and a wren reappeared when the light faded.  I spotted a sapsucker in the hackberry, apparently after berries. 


No comments:

Post a Comment