Friday, December 14, 2018

Misty

I had to hurry out before breakfast.  The muted sun was visible in a mackerel sky.  There was light fog in the creek bottoms.   When I got home, pelicans were patrolling the creek. 
Now that the trees have grown up, the only photos I can get of a pelican are if it lands on the water.  The only one I got today was through the screen door.  A male and a female bufflehead weren't much easier to catch on the surface. 

The red breasted nuthatches tried to copy the elusive Carolina wren, but were too eager for sunflower seeds to pull it off.  The pine warblers, however, were quite nice about posing, at least when not being bumped off the suet by a downy woodpecker. I'm pretty sure that the warbler without wing bars was an orange crowned warbler.  Titmice joined the chickadees on the seed feeder. 

A couple of squirrels were flirting in the red cedar.  It got warm enough that I saw yellow jackets.  Goldfinches had some pool water.  Egrets assembled on the lake snags. The afternoon got progressively dimmer and harder to photograph birds in motion.  But there was no rain till after dark. 


No comments:

Post a Comment