Saturday, October 5, 2019

Gray sky, chilly wind

A squirrel tried to bury its (my) nut next to the birdbath.  I think it ran into the buried landscape cloth because it took the nut  and left.   The drey-building squirrel dropped another load of construction material into the pool for me to fish out.

A Carolina wren visited the mealworms.  The seed feeder's usual suspects were joined by titmice.  I fetched a lot of leaves and pine needles out of the water, but no insects.  Despite the dank air, Virginia and all the South is in the midst of a drought.  We are almost down to a normal year's rainfall. 

The yellow rose put out a succession of blossoms over the last week.  The red rose was blooming too, but it has always been a healthy plant.  I think the cloud cover was caused by the wind swinging around to the East where it pulled vapor off the ocean.  It also pushed the tide high in the creek.  When I went out after dark to hang the brick on the feeder, I was surprised to see the moon for an instant before the clouds covered it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment