Monday, October 7, 2019

Summer-like

Lots of birds!  House finches and doves kept fooling me into thinking I'd glimpsed something more interesting.  At least two mockingbirds were hanging around because they got into a fight, chasing and screeching.  One mockingbird was quite the connoisseur of beauty berries. 

And then, when I thought the mockingbird had come back, it was a catbird.  The red eyed vireo popped up, then a male oriole.  I rushed some jelly out to bribe him, and while I was at it, I hung some suet up to see if yesterday's pileated woodpecker would return. 

The warmth lured a skink across the steps.  A mockingbird ate dogwood berries.  A blue jay hid to enjoy its berry. 

A monarch butterfly flew around in the trees, ignoring the milkweed which, admittedly, was not blooming.  But neither were the trees.  A Carolina wren fussed at me from the sakaki where it seemed to think it was hidden. 

After dark, I took some moon pictures and got it passing behind a band of clouds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment