Saturday, February 8, 2020

Calm

The morning began cold and bright, but with only a light breeze.  I found that the rainwater in the barkbutter ball dish had acquired a clear ice lid.   There was no ice on the creek though it was as flat as a mirror and as full of reflections.  The warbler and the downy woodpeckers were back to their dispute over the suet. Carolina wrens and song and white throted sparrows returned. 

When I got back at noon, I went around the front yard picking up sticks and other fallen stuff.  Some fallen branches had jelly fungi and one had the beginnings of a polypore, I think. Moss had sent up setae with capsules atop.  Daffodils were recovered from the thrashing the wind gave them.  The warmth before the wind had also brought the red witch hazel into flower along with the Carolina jessamine.  While driving I noticed maples, callery pears, and one purple magnolia in bloom. 

The morning's blue sky was beginning to get hazy.  At lunch, a pine warbler entered the suet stakes.  I also saw the red bellied woodpecker.  By mid afternoon the sky was gray and the sun gone.  But after dark the full moon was bright despite clouds.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment