Saturday, February 15, 2020

Counting birds

Cold, sunny and not too windy - perfect for birds.  I counted as I ate breakfast.  The only infrequent visitor was a goldfinch that was disappointed to find the birdbath frozen.  I hustled hot water out later and that breeze felt very cold indeed.  I counted a cardinal pair, a titmouse, a pair of Carolina wrens, a pair of downy woodpeckers,a chickadee, and three squabbling myrtle warblers.  Later in the morning, a song and a couple of white throated sparrows enjoyed the seeds I scattered. A male red bellied woodpecker took over the suet. 

One pelican flew past. Around 9am cormorants dimpled the creek as they chased a school of fish upstream.  In the early afternoon, five egrets lined up along the dam.  A lone Canada goose paddled upstream. 

The squirrels entertained me during lunch.  One scooted, then sprawled on the pool cover.  Another had a terrible flea as it sat atop the sunflower seed feeder.  After dark, I watched the GBBC reports come in on a world map.


No comments:

Post a Comment