Monday, February 17, 2020

Harrier

Blue sky and quiet water made lovely abstract paintings.   A kingfisher perched on a branch I could barely see through the trees.  There were plenty of geese across the creek.  A pelican splashed close to our bank, bathing perhaps.  An egret prowled along the dam.   Toward evening, a great blue heron joined the fishing.

Despite the right kind of weather, my count of birds was disappointing this year.  Today I saw what might account for it.  Nothing was moving closer than the creek.  Then a hawk swooped across the yard from Southwest to Northeast and landed on a pine limb in the shade.  As it passed, I noticed it had a white rump so I am claiming it as a female Northern harrier

A myrtle warbler perched on a cherry twig to keep an eye on the suet.  Downy woodpeckers planned their suet forays from the dogwood. 


No comments:

Post a Comment