Saturday, April 25, 2020

Day went downhill

The newspaper's weather page must have been for some different day.  This one began sunny and warm and ended in cold mist.  A bluebird was up early.  it is easy to imagine they are showing expressions when they face front.  A squirrel found the dried up cinquefoil I had pulled up the other day and appeared to eat the root crown.  Cinquefoil is structurally similar to strawberry.  I like it but it was getting out of hand.  

It was warm and sunny so I spent time outside after breakfast.  I was going to move the hummer feeder but a little spider was busy under the ant moat. 

I saw a tiger swallowtail at lunch. By then the sky had clouded over.  A myrtle warbler in summer plumage showed up, but the camera focused on the background.   I caught it later in the wild cherry.  A cardinal hunted something all over the wild cherry.  Then all the birds went flying East.  I don't know why, perhaps to harass a predator. 

After that I went outside.  It was a lot chillier than in the morning.  A (first of season) great crested flycatcher hunted in the wild cherry.  Then a blue jay did the same, confusing me as to whether I'd really seen a flycatcher. But I have proof!  I guess the flowers were still attracting bugs even though they looked spent to me.  A brown thrasher made off with bark butter balls. 


No comments:

Post a Comment