Friday, March 25, 2022

Damp

While the day was quite cloudy, it didn't rain.  The air was warm but very damp.  A female pileated woodpecker at breakfast called my attention to the empty suet cage so I went outside and refilled both of them.  It didn't take too long for the woodpecker to return.  When it had finished, a flicker landed on the feeder post but spooked so quickly I could get no proof.  I had never seen a flicker come to a feeder before.  I also saw doves wandering around, pine and myrtle warblers, and the cat. 

 At lunch, a female cowbird landed on the seed feeder roof.  I wonder if it planned to follow some hapless bird back to her nest.  A female junco alighted on the seed feeder.  Since the closest place juncos breed is the Appalachian Mountains, it would be a long way for the cowbird to follow!  The female pileated returned.  A female bluebird got a drink and a barkbutter ball.  

Later, I glimpsed a male flicker under the leafless beautyberry bush.  A female red bellied woodpecker also wanted fresh suet, as did a starling.  A Carolina wren hunted for suet crumbs underneath.  Only one twig on the maple made seeds.  The purple iris bloomed.  Some azalea buds opened.  



No comments:

Post a Comment