Thursday, March 17, 2022

Lucky day

While the day was mostly cloudy, we had some sunshine, and a thunderstorm just when I had to go out to a meeting.  I still couldn't see the feeders, except from the kitchen sink, but I spent time with my back to the computer, looking out that window.  White throated sparrows clustered under the second suet cage by the Northwest corner of the house.  A red bellied woodpecker landed on the suet but decided I was too close.  I spotted a butterbutt up in the cherry, also a horned bird that turned out to be a leaf. 

A beach ball drifted on the creek.  Turtles piled onto a log to catch some rays.  Then at least four pelicans dropped onto the creek where cormorants were making the water turbulent. Two of the pelicans were still in the brown plumage of youth and one was quite small.  One of the adults was transitioning to breeding colors.  

The pair of pileated woodpeckers flounced from trunk to trunk but too many twigs were in the way for the camera to focus.  Two great blue herons were surprisingly close on the creek, but didn't get into a fight.  I first saw one on the neighbors' floating dock.  Then the other came stalking along the shoreline.  That one stopped, perhaps noticing the other, and after a pause, flew to one of the posts on our dock.  A fish, I think, lay on the floating dock beside the first one.  It looked too big for the heron.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment