Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Fish day

The bright sun didn't warm the air but, at least, it wasn't blowing like the last several days.  All day gulls and osprey were fishing for something too small for me to see.  Occasionally, I could see schools of the fish ruffling the surface of the creek.  I wasted an awful lot of shots on the flying birds - makes me appreciate digital cameras.  The pictures I got look like an all-white bird, but after looking at gull and turn photos, my best guess is that they were Bonaparte's gulls

Meanwhile, at the feeders, a brown thrasher visited warily.  Bluebirds were around but also cautious.  Starlings didn't care.  A Carolina wren flitted from feeder to feeder.  A myrtle warbler stayed in the trees.  The brown headed nuthatches were back.  The pileated woodpeckers continued their dating game on the feeder post and around different trees.  She seemed very interested in a spot on the magnolia where a large limb was removed.  He got down in the grass and carefully checked every exposed root. 

Low tide around 4pm exposed mudflats and narrowed the creek.  Except for one loner, turtles crowded their favorite log.  Cormorants, egrets, and a great blue heron rested around bale of the turtles.  A pair of wood ducks paddled past me.  I believe I saw an eagle too.  The great blue heron on the neighbors' dock apparently didn't belong there because another chased it upstream.  The victor returned but didn't stay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment