Saturday, October 29, 2022

More birds

Clouds came and went and came back.  All I saw in the morning was blue jays streaking across the yard and two great blew herons that flew South over me and the dog.  But at lunch, a white breasted nuthatch wanted sunflower seeds.  So did many chickadees and a few titmice, cardinals, and house finches.  

The wind blew hard all day and the tide ran quite high.  Milkweed seeds emerged from the pod and began to fluff out.  The hackberry turned lemon yellow, a few cherry leaves were gold, and the hickory was toasted butterscotch.  Dogwood leaves reddened where they weren't crisped by the lack of rain.  Sweet gum leaves were getting red as well. 

A Carolina wren got away from me but not a song sparrow.  I think I saw a flicker because that's the only bird that's yellow on the underside of its wings.  It was banking into a left turn and going fast.  I caught a butterbutt and a mockingbird among the dogwood berries.  And then the battery gave up.  And when I swapped in the charged battery, the camera just wouldn't!  So I missed some shots at blue jays and the nuthatch, and finally gave up.  A couple hours later the camera was done sulking, but the birds were done too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment