Sunday, October 9, 2022

The duel of the docks

The dog insisted he had to go ooooooout and the next thing I knew he was barking like mad at the neighbor's yard.  And I, who had been about to shower, gathered up my hastily assumed robe and went to see who was being murdered.  I think he was offended by the neighbor's flag that cast running shadows as it flapped in the cold breeze. 

Later, a wren explored the vegetation around the patio, staying half hidden, but I'm pretty sure it was a house wren headed South.  The catbird was back for more beautyberries.  Blue jays hunted acorns.  

In the afternoon, I saw a great blue heron on the neighbor's dock displaying pride of ownership again.  Then I saw the other heron near the shore.  That one walked slowly toward me as though paying no attention to the other.  Then it flew up to a post, then down to our dock.  I suspect they were name-calling the whole time.  

Goldenrod bloomed on the earth dam that separates the lake from the creek.  Turtles were basking on their log.  The sun felt delightfully hot but any shadow was cold.  


No comments:

Post a Comment