Friday, March 3, 2023

Gray day

The rain began about half an hour after I got up, just individual drops in the birdbath at first.  Birds only showed up after the rain started.  A myrtle warbler seemed overwhelmed by a barkbutter ball.  A white breasted nuthatch sampled everything, and for a moment, there were two of them.  Bluebirds were more picky.  Female orioles pecked at the remains of yesterday's jelly. 

K told me there was a flock of birds in the pecan tree out front setting up a racket.  I couldn't be sure what they were, silhouetted against the sky, but there were hints of redness and I'm guessing they were robins.  I had hoped for cedar waxwings but I saw no sign of crests. 

After lunch, I spotted a song sparrow in the mulch around the birdbath.  Juncos had foraged their earlier, as had a dove.  A cardinal brooded on the seed feeder perch.  

I glimpsed an egret and a pelican in the morning.  In the afternoon, a couple of hoodie hens paddled upstream.  A great blue heron huddled on the neighbors' floating dock and another watched the lake.  Shovelers, I think, flew toward the dam.  





No comments:

Post a Comment