Sunday, March 12, 2023

Hawk strike

Titmice were bold when I put out mealworms for their breakfast.  Two gulls floated on the creek, one the herring gull, the other immature and flecked with brown.  

We took the dog for a walk at the botanical garden.  The daffodils were part their peak, just as at home.  The most interesting flowers were weeds in the grass, including an escaped grape hyacinth.  Birds were scarce except for the Canada geese to which the dog made objection.  

Back home, I noticed the reflection of a pelican that was perched on a post.  I saw a red bellied woodpecker hiking up tree trunks, but vegetation messed with the focus.  Then a blue jay popped up.  A bit of forsythia survived and bloomed.  It will have to come out, like the leucojum.  

As we ate lunch, a flicker showed up in one of the dogwoods.  After it flew, the red bellied woodpecker landed in the same spot.  Two white throated sparrows reappeared after several days' absence.  Then the song sparrow followed.  Then a chipping sparrow landed on the feeder but something spooked it.  The female orioles were back.  So were juncos and bluebirds and warblers.  And starlings.  

In the afternoon while I was in the living room I heard a very loud thump, then a somewhat softer one.  I hurried to the back and was in time to see the disappearing tail of a Cooper's hawk with a smaller dark bird in hot pursuit.  I don't know if the hawk got anything, but the dish feeder with the mealworms was swinging wildly.  I went outside to see if the hawk had stopped around the corner of the house, but no.  I did see a female hoodie on the creek.  And I felt drops of rain on the rising wind so I gave up and went back to my email.  By supper time everywhere was quite wet but the rain still seemed very light.  


No comments:

Post a Comment