Saturday, March 11, 2023

Strong, cold wind

The pileated woodpecker was back for breakfast.  Then I moved to the back room to run Zoom and noticed some activity on the creek.  A great egret prowled the shoreline while a herring gull floated further out.  Its wings were darker than the one yesterday, unless it was a trick of the light.  A pelican landed to see if the gull had anything good to catch.  Later two egrets hung out together by the dock.  The wind nearly pulled their feathers off.  The water surface was churned till it looked like pea soup.

At lunch time, I was joined by bluebirds, juncos, titmice, orioles, a Carolina wren,  and of course warblers, both pine and myrtle.  A blue jay ate barkbutter crumbs because that was all that was left.   A female red-winged blackbird enjoyed suet then posed for me.  The feral cat curled up in the sun until I went out to prune.  I didn't work long because the wind was too cold.  


No comments:

Post a Comment