Friday, March 17, 2023

Two more days

I seem to have fallen into an every other day habit.  Wednesday dawned bright and quiet.  The reflection in the creek looked like a glossy photo.  Orioles and bluebirds breakfasted from the hanging feeder dishes while a junco foraged in the mulch.  Blue jays queued up for barkbutter balls.  

Some of the "female" orioles looked like they were transitioning into male feathers.  According to All about Birds, "Young male Baltimore Orioles do not molt into bright-orange adult plumage until the fall of their second year."But it was the appearance of black head feathers that I noticed.  

I spent most of Thursday going to and from Richmond to tell the Air Board to stay in RGGI.  A great blue heron flew over the car but I was driving.  Then Friday I had online meetings.  I saw a myrtle warbler early.  The food I put out disappeared.  K hung a fresh block of suet.  Turtles lined their log because it was quite warm, though mostly cloudy.  A wall cloud was visible to the North in the evening, but hard to photograph.  According to Ken Spencer who writes the gardening column in the newspaper, "Friday, we crossed the Rubicon: 12 hours plus 38 seconds of daylight." 





No comments:

Post a Comment