Friday, September 2, 2011

Signs of September

Dogwood leaves beginning to turn. Dogwood berries and beauty berries looking tasty. Waterbirds learning to fly in formation - I can't be sure they are geese at this distance.

It is cool and damp. Usually after a hurricane we have hot and sticky.

One of the hummers was outraged to find that a chickadee was sitting in its favorite dogwood. The hummingbird buzzed in circles around the poor chickadee till the larger bird gave up and flew off. At least one and maybe two of the hummers are getting dark throat feathers.

A cicada fell in the pool. I fished it out and got some photos as it dried out. I found a gray tree frog in the skimmer, distinctly different from the green frogs.

Then a hawk showed up. I think it's a Cooper's hawk as it seems to be too big to be a sharp shinned hawk. It didn't catch anything while I was watching but later a whole flock of crows were mobbing a tree across the creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment