Thursday, September 15, 2011

Still summer and smoke

A late hibiscus blooms. The spider still lurks beside the door. The swamp still smolders. The temperature is predicted to drop tonight. I've been hearing kingfishers all week but haven't actually seen any.

I fished a very small cicada out of the pool - half the size of the usual annual cicada. I wonder if its size is because it is late in the season, or possibly because it depended for nourishment on one of the trees that blew down?

Gusty winds all day with dramatic clouds. The gulls were playing on the wind like a carnival ride. Other birds were struggling. This heron was blown to a standstill. Then an eagle came low overhead and I sat there with my mouth open and my camera closed. Toward evening it looked very stormy and started raining after 6pm. Thunder, lightning, and downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment