Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sun as predicted

It was overcast at breakfast.  Then just before 9am a fierce wind out of the NE swept the clouds before it.  The usual suspects have been to the feeder.  A catbird paused briefly on the bench.  Two small, brown birds have been zooming around too fast to identify - lust or territory? White throated sparrows are still here.

Tiger swallowtails are flitting in the wind. Grackles arrived at lunch.  I think I've seen five different skinks this afternoon,
different sizes, some adult some blue tailed.  This one has lost part of its tail.

The Carolina wrens came by in the afternoon.  High in the sky, I think I'm seeing swallows, maybe swifts or martins, I cannot be sure.  Definitely gulls and cormorants, and maybe osprey are up there.  A pelican lumbered through, perhaps avoiding the wind out on the open water.

A tiger swallowtail posed laying eggs on a wild cherry.  I never noticed before but the veins in the upper wings produce a sort of cats-eye look.  I wonder if it works as intimidation?


No comments:

Post a Comment