Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wren in the birdhouse

Cardinals, house finches, chickadees, Carolina wrens, the towhee pair, and many squirrels came to breakfast.  Something darted over the pool, dipping down to the water and then rising.  It was either a very big insect or a very tiny bird.  The behavior made me think dragonfly.  A wren that looks almost the same size has been going in and out of the birdhouse. I'm pretty sure it is a house wren - no eye liner.

I think I saw the fox in the next yard, either that or a cat with a very amazing tail.  A brown thrasher serenaded me before coming to inspect the mulch.  I didn't dare move for the camera - it had its beady yellow eye on me.  A Carolina wren and a chickadee also came to the feeder while I was sitting there, about 8' away.  The wasps just love the rue. It makes drops of nectar like a poinsettia does. 

As I ate supper, the Carolina wren came back for a nice, peaceful, sun-warmed bath,   Ma at the spa.  The sky has been the brilliant blue that makes me believe I can see ultraviolet.  Some white clouds formed and dissipated, just enough for texture.  Again I failed to photograph the swallows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment