Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Early birds

The titmice have returned and were busy on the feeder early.  The female towhee came around as well. Dragonflies are battling for the perch I set out.  I believe this is a goldfinch eating pine buds.

I cleaned and refilled the hummer feeder.  It is really hot today.  I also set out a new dragonfly perch right at the corner of the steps, beside the birdbath. 


Widow skimmers, amberwings, and pondhawks are perching on the herbs and snatching the smallest bugs attracted to the flowers.  Larger wasps have tried to drive them off.  I tried to photograph them against a background in shade but the camera could not figure out the focus.  This is a female eastern amberwing on lavender. 

I had meetings all afternoon.  A sliver of moon is descending behind the pines and fireflies are winking.

No comments:

Post a Comment