Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Sunny and cooler

I haven't seen any birds but the regulars.  Small butterflies and a black swallowtail were out.  A lovely green Eastern pondhawk was guarding the lantana.  It's breezy.  K refilled the feeder. 

In the afternoon a white breasted nuthatch visited the feeder.  I saw a brown thrasher and a mockingbird flying around. 

A widow skimmer lit on the perch I provided.  It's the only thing I was able to photograph.  Skippers continued to feed on the lantana even after it was in shade.  The white lumps down by the sidewalk where the oak used to be are definitely bracket fungi. The sunflower stalk has a bunch of new blooms, much smaller than the first set.  I hope the rotten bugs don't get them too.  I suspect their eggs were in with the feeder seed. 

I rescued a honeybee and K a small skink.  While I was swimming, I heard a little green heron grumbling.  It landed on the dock bench, then a piling.  The late sun lit it up but, of course, I did not have a camera. 


No comments:

Post a Comment