Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sunny with big cumulus clouds

The female towhee poked around below the feeder, joined by a juvenile cardinal that hasn't figured out the feeder perch yet.  The two adult male cardinals got into a fight.  A hummer visited briefly.

I went looking for the Mississippi kite but had no luck.  There were fiery skippers on the lantana when I got home and a white cabbage butterfly flitted past.  The male towhee showed up at lunch.  He can erect a sort of crest when agitated.  I saw a skink after lunch.  

The sky cleared in the early afternoon, then clouds came back as the sun moved into the West.  I found a big dead green frog in the pool skimmer.  Lots of little, flat snails clung to the pool rim.  I saw a wolf spider and a reddish slater spider that preys on isopods.  A tiger swallowtail flitted over the pool.  While I was in the pool, two hummers fought over the feeder.  One looked like a male but the sun was behind it so I couldn't be sure.  Dragonflies perched along the retaining wall. 

While sitting on the patio, I saw titmice, goldfinches (M&F), a brown headed nuthatch, a mockingbird, and a blue jay.  The female towhee returned and the hummer warz continued.  I was on the phone and thus missed photographing the nuthatch which was soooo close.  The clouds brought their own drama and a brief downpour followed by the sun's return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment