Friday, October 3, 2014

Early surprises

Right after sunrise a flicker and a female towhee showed up along with the usual feeder crowd.  The flicker stayed down in the mulch and the towhee in the rosemary.  Doves hung around.  I saw a blue jay cruise through the yard and an egret reflected in the creek.   Here's the creek reflecting the sunlit bank through the dogwood and saltbushes. 

When I came home a butterfly was fluttering around the lantana.  I can't be sure but I think it was a red admiral.  The sky clouded over in the late morning despite the predicted sunshine.  Titmice visited at lunch.  Several great blue herons flew East overhead toward the Western Branch.  I startled a squirrel making off with a pecan. It dropped the nut and watched me. Then, when I didn't move, it came back and picked the nut up and scampered.  There's been no sign of the infected finch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment