Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Lunar eclipse

I tottered out around 5am and watched about three quarters of an hour of the eclipse.  There were passing clouds that made ice halos.  Eventually the pines interfered with viewing so I didn't stay for the full show.  The crickets were in fine voice.

When I got up again, the regulars were busy on the feeder.  White Spot Squirrel got her drink from the birdbath I cleaned yesterday.  A great blue heron circled twice low over the yard. Jays flew across too.

While I saw out during the morning, I saw two large orb webs.  At lunch time I saw a cloudless sulphur butterfly and a dragonfly. A hawk zoomed through just above the feeder and landed on the neighbor's roof.  Bees and wasps were hard at work. 

An egret stalked along the bulkhead.  In addition to the usual complement of spiders, beetles, and crickets, there were two very small, velvety black caterpillars in the pool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment