Monday, July 20, 2015

Hot

The sky was a hazy blue.  House wrens hunted around the patio.  Titmice joined the feeder crowd and the female goldfinch worked on the sunflowers.  A red admiral butterfly basked on a beige brick.  I've read that they like to land on white surfaces.

Given the afternoon thunderstorms and the biting flies, I decided to swim in the morning.  And it was thus I saved a baby skink from the skimmer.  I also rescued click beetles and a spider.  I found a lovely white spotted feather.  Since I was wet, I ate lunch outside and was visited by two doves, one of which spread its tail in the sun.  Goldfinches landed on the sunflowers, but were too nervous to stay.  I saw a widow skimmer, a pondhawk, and an amberwing.  And what I think was a giant swallowtail tormented me by flitting past but never alighting.  It was very, very hot and K couldn't stand it and went inside. 

When we got back from the library, there was a tiny praying mantis on the window screen.  A blue dasher was on a short perch till a cardinal landed nearby and it relocated.  Slow-moving clouds out of the West looked like thunderheads, but they passed on East.

The feeder was very busy around 6pm before the rain.  Both house and Carolina wrens hung around and I even glimpsed a pine warbler.  The rain began with quick light showers, then a downpour followed, and lightning and thunder came last.  The sky started to clear around sunset.  A dragonfly scooped up the insects brought out by the wet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment