Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hummer warz

Several hummingbirds got very possessive of the feeder and even the rosemary.  The best part is that they hung out in the trees to keep an eye on the feeder so I could get a "natural" photo.

The female goldfinch showed up early.  Robins and grackles prospected in the grass and doves in the mulch.  Juvenile mockingbirds screamed for food.  And Carolina wrens scolded.  An egret preened on the dock and an osprey circled up in the clouds. 

Two foxes hunted in the neighbors' yard.  Later, when I was in the pool and without a camera, one boldly walked past me - the floating head in the water.  I chirped at it and it gave me a look but didn't hurry.  In fact, it stopped to sniff my flipflops that still have teeth marks from the kits two years ago.

Tiger and black swallowtails flew around.  The black swallowtail appeared to be laying eggs on the rue that currently has at least four caterpillars in their third instar.  Dragonflies were out as well.  A male widow skimmer cruised low over the grass.

Clouds passed through all day but toward evening they got thicker.


No comments:

Post a Comment