Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Sunny

A Carolina wren visited the feeder briefly.  Goldfinches came, including two males, and a pair flew off fussing.  Egrets waited by the dam outfall.  K rehung the clean hummer feeder.

And the hummer wars have begun with much chasing and scolding.  At least one liked the rosemary as much as the feeder.  That one has a darker throat.  Meanwhile, a brown thrasher was up in the cherry picking berries. 

Butterflies and dragonflies were out.  I saw a tiger swallowtail I think was laying eggs on the cherry, and a variegated fritillary.  The usual blue dashers and slaty skimmers were joined by a yellow-sided skimmer.

I rescued a full grown skink from the pool.  K gets credit for the photo.  It shat in my hand in thanks.  I found two drowned caterpillars but not much else.  One looked like a small black swallowtail caterpillar while the other was larger, much longer and dark brown with a beige head.  Of course, it is hard to know if the colors have been altered by the water.

As I ate supper, I saw some amazing things.  First, a hummer arrived about the same time as a cardinal landed on the seed feeder.  Well.  The hummer hovered in front of the bemused cardinal and gave it the stink eye.  Some what later the cardinal chased a dragonfly right up to the glass.  The cardinal veered off but the dragonfly crashed.  I tried to get a photo but I had to open the door because of the angle and the dragonfly took off.  It looked like a 12-spotted skimmer  Sunset was pretty with wispy pink clouds.  The fireflies started up immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment