Tuesday, July 21, 2015

White sky

Hot and humid - last evening's rain had not dried up.  Titmice were out with the ubiquitous three: chickadees, house finches, cardinals.  On and over the creek I could see egrets and laughing gulls.  K refilled Café Girasole and left some seeds on the patio, to the amazed delight of a squirrel.

Butterflies enjoyed the heat, unlike us mammals.  I saw tiger and black swallowtails in the back yard and buckeyes (and bees) on the lantana in the front yard.  Someone let a star-shaped helium balloon go and it was blowing downstream so it will probably wind up in the Atlantic and strangle some endangered sea turtle.

Around 5pm, thunder sounded, but nothing came of it.  Later when I got out of my meeting in Norfolk the sun was setting.  A huge cloud spread across the South with a very dark band at the bottom.  There were hard-edged cotton ball clouds all around it.  I was almost home when beams of orange light fanned out from the sunset.  Unfortunately the camera I had along wasn't the best and the phenomenon didn't last.  A thin crescent moon lagged behind the sun. The crows were circling over the junction of 64 & 264. 


No comments:

Post a Comment