Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Brown thrasher returns

The sun was warming the air after a cold night.  The wind was only a breeze, at last, and the creek glassy except when a fish jumped. It's the season for shad to spawn.

A bufflehead pair paddled downstream from the dam. White throated sparrows and juncos were all over the patio and mulch.   Downy woodpeckers, chickadees, and starlings headed for the suet.  A blue jay flitted among the trees. The brown thrasher lurked in the red cedar.  Then the tux cat prowled underneath. 

Sometimes I swear the birds know.  While I was on the phone with my hands full, an egret and a great blue heron stalked past me going up the creek.  They were walking in tandem, the heron a little ahead and in deeper water.  Then a male wood duck paddled past.  And I could not take a picture!  And then, and then, as I walked past the feeders to do laundry, there was a goldfinch in bright sunshine. 

Toward evening the sky hazed and went white, and the sun faded away instead of setting.  The wind got gusty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment