Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Open windows

I finally got a photo of the wren that's moved into the old birdhouse in the camellia.  It's a Carolina wren.  So the two old, repaired birdhouses have tenants but not the fine new birdhouse outside my office window.

It was warm and sunny at lunchtime.  Afterward I went outside.  I heard wrens and other birds but only saw cardinals.  A small green wasp was hauling a de-legged spider as big as itself - it couldn't fly, only hop.  I found a black swallowtail caterpillar on the rue and saw both black and tiger swallowtails in flight.  Also a pearl crescent, I think.  Dragonflies zipped around but never perched.  A bee fly was sitting on the rosemary.  The dredge was working downstream from the water tower.

By 4pm the sun had disappeared behind thick overcast and the temperature had dropped.  I ran around shutting the windows.  An egret stalked along the bank in the early evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment