Saturday, October 1, 2016

Cloudy

I was gone all morning.  At lunch time, blue jays zipped around the yard. A fledgling cardinal discovered beauty berries. Egrets patrolled the creek.

A Carolina wren thought about mealworms but scared off.  A dove hung around the mulch.  A skink made it to the rosemary before I got the camera on.   I toured the spider webs.  The argiope caught a monarch butterfly.  The aranea barn spider moved to above the spinyback orbweaver which was repairing its web.  I did not see the smaller spinyback.  Some fiery skippers worked on the lantana.  I also saw a cloudless sulphur and an orange butterfly. Birds nest fungus popped up in the mulch all around.  The mushrooms I saw before were gone but a new one showed up out front. 

I rescued a mama wolf spider, a stink bug, an assassin bug nymph, a cricket, and a couple of beetles.  Carpenter bees visited the rosemary.  Blue jays argued over an acorn and a red bellied woodpecker complained.  A couple of great blue herons argued over the egrets' fishing hole while the egrets ignored them.  A soaring osprey made a U-turn and disappeared behind the trees.  There were more clouds than sun in the afternoon though it was warm enough.  Sunset was spectacular with fractal clouds catching color.  And I saw fireflies!


No comments:

Post a Comment