Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Suet season

K bought suet cakes and I hung a block where the hummer feeder had been.  Cardinals and chickadees investigated but weren't interested.  A Carolina wren was. The day was again sunny with a glassy dawn creek flowing into motion by mid-morning.  A snowy egret fished in the dam outfall.  Bumblebees visited the morning glories, perhaps because a second color came into bloom.  A filthy squirrel came to the birdbath for a wash up. 

A monarch butterfly sailed around and landed on turning dogwood leaves, but returned to the milkweed. At lunch,a mockingbird appeared and tested the suet. Gulls circled high over the creek. 

When I came home around 4pm there was a lot of activity in the redwood.  Two red bellied woodpeckers had a skirmish.  I think I saw a blue jay fly across the yard. I certainly heard one scream. 


No comments:

Post a Comment