Monday, October 31, 2016

Cold wind

The sky was overcast when I got up but it cleared by the middle of the morning.  (Yesterday was warm and lovely, but I was inside almost all day.)  For the first time, an Argiope spider made it to Halloween.  I found some shreds of spinyback web but no spider. Lots of black swallowtail caterpillars ate rue, but I didn't see any on the milkweed or the parsley. 

A downy woodpecker came for some suet.  A blue jay flew into the oak.  Lots of little things flitted around and I couldn't even tell if they were birds or bugs.

Because it was Halloween, I sat outside with the candy and the spider to make sure no one tried to kill her.  It was very cold.  I saw a couple of black ground beetles, a small moth, and several other spiders, mostly cobweb spiders and a long-body cellar spider behind the Argiope.  I heard a strange hissing cough that I hope was a squirrel, and heard feet pattering on the roof.


No comments:

Post a Comment